Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Famous Cousin

If you are close friends with me then you have definitely heard me talk about my cousin Carter before. For those haven’t heard me talk about (or had the opportunity to meet) Carter here is a little background.

Carter is my 1st cousin (the son of my dad’s sister). He is 23 years old and is currently working as a pastry chef in Kansas City. He graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in New York and is uber talented at what he does. He is a bit of a local celebrity in the city and has been featured several times in the Kansas City Star newspaper with his creations and has also appeared on local morning shows doing cooking demonstrations. For the past several years he has competed in a national cake and gum paste competition and has always managed to finish in the top three. I know for certain that at least one year he has taken home the grand prize.

At one of these competitions he was approached by the Food Network and was asked to “audition” for a potential filming opportunity by doing a taped cooking demonstration. Carter has always been quite the showman and so of course he knocked the audition out of the park. A short time later he was called to compete on the Food Network Food Challenge television program and was on National TV for the first time last July. Since then, he has been called again and his latest Food Network Challenge will air this Sunday, July 3rd, on the Food Network at 9pm. I think the challenge is for the chefs to do a Star Wars themed cake.

My brother, sister, and I with Carter at my sister's wedding last year

The cake Carter and my aunt did for my sister's wedding
A gingerbread representation of Union Station in Kansas City
that Carter did for a competition

Carter always manages to make a Thanksgiving turkey look amazing

Carter's gum paste creations (did I mention he is self-taught??)

Don't they look real???
Needless to say I am so excited for Carter! He is so talented and has worked very hard. I hope you all will watch and cheer him on. My family is very proud of him! Go Carter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment