Friday, July 1, 2011

My Tomato Plant Hates Me

So, back at the beginning of May I wrote a post about gardening and the bad luck I've had in the past. This year, I had really high hopes for a successful porch garden at the new house. For a while things were going well--all of my plants were growing and looking super healthy. I was watering regularly and seeing blooms on my pepper plants and on my tomato plant. I got really excited and was thinking "wow, this may actually work." But then I started thinking and wondering how my tomato plant could be getting so gigantic and continue flowering but produce no fruit.

After taking a closer look I started to notice that the reason this was happening was because all the flowers kept falling off after they bloomed. I did some research on the internet and found out that this problem isn't very uncommon and can be caused by a number of factors. Some of these include: over fertilization, lack of pollination, high heat and humidity, and bugs.

My gigantic fruit-less tomato plant

Flowers about to fall off : (
After thinking it over, I realized that any or all of these things could be the reason my tomato plant isn't producing (except for maybe over fetilization--I've only used Miracle Gro tomato food about twice since planting). To solve the these issues I hit up my local Ace Hardware and bought some bug spray that is safe for plants and veggies. I also bought some more stakes just in case the weight of the plant was a factor in its unhealthy-ness. For the lack of pollination problem the internet said to give the plant a shake which was easy enough. The only problem I couldn't fix of course is the heat and humidity which lets face it, there hasn't been a day in Atlanta over the last month where its been below 90 degrees outside--so in other words I'm screwed if that's the problem.

Anyways I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the plant isn't a complete loss.

Aside from my sad tomato plant there is little else to report here. I am very excited for the long weekend. Among rest and relaxation I have plans to go to the Braves game on Sunday (I scored 4 free tickets from work!) and go to a party on Monday evening complete with fireworks. I'm also hoping to tackle the flower beds in my front yard on Saturday which are currently looking like this:

I know, it's bad
Oh and check out this little guy who was watching me photograph the front yard:

Mr. (or Ms.?) porch kitty
Actually he comes by pretty often to visit and is very sweet. He and Zeke like to stare at each other and talk through the window (it's really quite humorous).

Anyway, hope everyone has a safe and wonderful 4th!!

No comments:

Post a Comment