Monday, March 14, 2011

Bed Makeover

In preparation for the family gathering at the Cottage in the next few weeks I've had to consider sleeping accomodations for my guests. When I moved in I had a full sized bed, a day bed (with a pull out trundle) and a futon (that is currently being used as my couch right now). Including my parents, my sister and her husband, and myself, there will be 5 of us in my 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. I knew I could make things work with the furniture I had but I didn't think it would really be ideal to put one of my parents or my brother-in-law on a pull out trundle. So I made the decision to sell my day bed (which I have had since middle school--ah, childhood memories) and buy a queen sized bed for my room and move the full-sized bed to the guest room.

Through the magic of Craigslist I had my daybed sold within a week for $200 and I had purchased a new Simmons Beautyrest mattress that has turned out to be excellent for a solid night's sleep. The only issue left to be solved was purchasing a frame for my full-size bed so I could go ahead and set it up in the guest room. Pricing out frames I saw that they could run anywhere from $40-50 but before I ran out and bought the frame new, I did some searching on Craigslist and my local Goodwill and found an entire wooden bed set--head board, foot board, and frame for $55.

Jackpot!

The bed needed a little love but I figured with a good wipe down and some paint it would work perfectly in the guest room. So, I spent this weekend priming and painting my new bed a pretty spring green (the actual color name is Gentle Moss from Valspar) and I'm pretty happy with it. Much better than just a plain 'ole metal frame.

Here are the Before/After/During pics:


Before


During--Primed

After!

No comments:

Post a Comment