Monday, July 18, 2011

Weekend Review and Antiquing

It's another Monday and despite the heat of summer and the drag of being back at work I'm determined to make it worthwhile. I mean, I'm thinking this will be the last July 18th I will ever spend while I am 29--and even more mind boggling the last in my 20's. So why not enjoy it, right?

You can all roll your eyes at me (it's Monday, Im turning 30 soon, who am I really kidding with that last statement?).

But I do have some adventures to share from this past weekend that will help with the Monday blues. First I got to go and see the new Harry Potter movie at midnight on Thursday (for those who don't know I am a gigantic Harry fan). It was epic. And beautiful. And I might have teared up just a little. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it, especially in 3D if its in your budget.

My T-shirt for the Harry premier. It says:
"Make Love Not Horcruxes"
I also got to spend some time with my mom who was passing through town on her way to visit my grandparents at the beach in South Carolina which was really nice even if it was a short visit. We had a nice dinner, went out for ice cream, and made a trip to the Dekalb Famer's Market so she could bring goodies to my grandmother. I also got to drive her new Nissan Rogue (a car I believe I have mentioned I would love to own) and totally fell in love with it. I keep telling myself that I need to wait another year for the new car but that is really becoming difficult.

Keeping up with the theme of family time, Erik and I made a visit to Monroe and hung out with Erik's parents and his sister and her fam. We made a special trip to this gigantic flea market in downtown Monroe and had a blast checking out what people call "antique." If you've ever been antiquing before you will understand what I mean by this. I can't tell you how many times I have walked through an antique store and found items that I have seen being sold in department stores for half the price the antique store is selling them for.

Historic Cotton Mills Antique Mall in Monroe, GA
This antique store was no exception. As Erik's sister Kimi, her husband Paul, and I were walking around Paul happened upon this:



With this note attached:



But if you turned it over, you saw this:



Nice, right? Those antique people are sneaky!

Despite some "misses" there were a bunch of "hits" that I would've loved to take home. I've always wanted a Hoosier cabinet like this:



I would also love some chairs like this to put in my backyard, but sadly their $100+ price tag is a little too steep for my budget.



I have these exact same dishes at home that came straight from my grandmother's basement (2 sets in their original boxes). Check out the price tag at the antique mall:

$115!!
Craziness!

All in all, it was a fun trip and a great weekend. It included some of my fav things: antiquing, good food, and family. Now I just have to get through this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment