Wednesday, July 13, 2011

New Orleans

Hey all! I'm back from my quick jaunt to NOLA last weekend. Erik and I had a really fun time even though it was a quick visit. We were able to visit with my sister and brother-in-law as well as meet up for dinner with my parents. Of course I also got in some good cuddle time with my little nephew who is about the sweetest thing on the planet. Everyone seemed happy and healthy (although a bit exhausted) and it was really nice to spend some time catching up.

Holding Regan for the first time

Little feet!!



With mommy--don't you just love that face???
In between visits with the nephew, I did my best to be a good tour guide for Erik since he had never been to New Orleans before. We spent a lot of time walking around the French Quarter, drinking and shopping. We visited the French market, Cafe du Monde, and of course had hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's. We also rode the St. Charles streetcar, ate breakfast and shopped on Magazine Street, and visited City Park (which I had never been to before and found to be really, really, beautiful).

A voodoo doll shop in the French Quarter

St. Louis Cathedral


Drinks at Pat O'Brien's
Riding the Streetcar

Artwork in Jackson Square

French Quarter architecture

Lafitte's Bar--reputedly the oldest watering hole in America

More French Quarter architecture

Ghetto Daiquiri's on St. Charles--the most potent daiquiri's in town

City Park--can you see the rainbow?

More City Park
The hotel we stayed at was called The Prytania Park Hotel off Prytania Street in the Garden District. It was in a great location (close enough that we could walk to a lot of restaurants, the streetcar, and what my family fondly refers to as the "Ghetto Daiquiri Shop") and the rooms were small, but clean. The best part was the price--using Kayak.com I was able to score a deal for $78/night which is pretty decent for NOLA (the price included taxes and fees). I would highly recommend it for a stay if you want to visit New Orleans and are on a budget.

All in all even though it was hotter than Hades and the trip was short, I guess you could say we accomplished and saw a lot. Of course it was difficult to leave the fam but my mom, sister, and baby Regan will be coming to visit in August so I'm really looking forward to a beach trip and seeing how much the little guy has grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment