Thursday, May 19, 2011

She's Crafty

I was reading through posts on some of my favorite blogs the other day and came across this one about a do-it yourself project inspired by the store Anthropologie on Little Glass Box. First let me just say that I love Anthropologie--it is one of my absolute favorite stores. I drool every time I get the new catalog in the mail and dream of a world where my closet is full of their clothes and my house is full of their linens (I say this because their stuff is ex-pen-sive-o but so so cute).

Anyway, the post on Little Glass Box featured these treat pedestals as seen on BHLDN (Anthropologie's wedding website):


Super cute, right? But $78? Yikes.

Courtney over at Little Glass Box took one look at these pedestals and saw the opportunity for an easy and cheap do-it-yourself project. So I am copying her idea (because it was a great one) to make a home made version of these Anthropologie treat trays. To start, all I had to do was look no further than my local Goodwill where I found these cute little sorbet dishes:


Next I began the hunt for some lonely vintage china plates but instead opted for these more modern looking dishes which I snagged on clearance at TJ Maxx:


Put them together using a little epoxy glue (or not if you want to use the plates and dishes separately later on) and you get this:



Total cost of my home-made treat pedestal: about $3 (the dishes came out to $0.85 each and the plates were $2 each). 

You know, I think I may actually like my cheap-o version better than the $78 one from Anthropologie (not to mention they are going to make great gifts for someone). Hooray for thriftiness and innovation at its best!


No comments:

Post a Comment